HPLC-based Protein Binding Assay
Creative Animodel has spent decades of efforts to develop and optimize the HPLC-based protein binding assay to shorten and simplify your drug discovery research. Our assays will help advance your pre-clinical drug discovery projects and enhance your organization’s ability to make sound decisions towards key milestones.
Development and Application of HPLC Method for Protein Binding Studies
Protein binding has profound effects on both the pharmacodynamics (PD) and pharmacokinetics (PK) profiles of a drug because the free drug concentrations surrounding the active and metabolic targets determine the overall behavior of a drug. High-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) is a technique in analytical chemistry used to separate, identify, and quantify each component in a mixture. Based on the assumption of drug-protein instantaneous equilibrium, the HPLC techniques have been developed to assess protein binding. HPLC technique is a simple, sensitive, rapid and effective method which is developed and validated for quantification of drug with the application of protein binding studies. The data of HPLC assays are often used to rationalize in vivo phenomena of a drug and guide the medicinal chemistry efforts in lead optimization and candidate selection process. Solid phase extraction (SPE) is a sample preparation process developed to enrich and isolate the analytes of interest from the matrix. Recently, online SPE-HPLC provides a novel, simple and easy-to-use approach to characterize plasma protein binding dissociation of a drug and thereby help to explain and predict the in vivo phenomena of a drug.
Figure 1. The schema for online SPE-HPLC setup (Li et al. 2015)
Using state-of-the-art instrumentation and technologies, Creative Animodel provides a comprehensive portfolio of HPLC-based protein binding assays and services. We offer a variety of HPLC-based protein binding assays including SPE-HPLC, HPLC-MS/MS and HPLC with UV.
HPLC-based Assays at Creative Animodel:
• SPE-HPLC: Creative Animodel has established the fully automated online SPE coupled with HPLC for the quantitative determination of drug concentration in plasma by pharmacokinetic study.
• HPLC-MS/MS: A liquid chromatography coupled with tandem mass spectrometry (HPLC-MS/MS) approach is developed and validated for the determination of drug.
• HPLC with UV: Creative Animodel develops a simple and rapid reversed-phase HPLC method with UV detection for the drug which is applicable for protein binding.
• Expertise—our highly trained principal scientists on hand explain results and suggest the most appropriate experimental strategy.
• Flexibility—studies can be tailored to our customers’ specific requirements.
• Regulation—our HPLC-based protein binding assays maintain and comply with regulatory guidelines, providing constant confidence in the data.
Creative Animodel has the scientific expertise to help you design the best strategies and protocols customized to suit any drug discovery need. Our analytical scientists are highly experienced and knowledgeable in the application of HPLC analyses for a wide variety of industries ranging from Food & Beverage to pharmaceuticals and much more. You could be assured of timely communications and close tracking of the progress of your study.
1. Li P.; et al. Characterization of plasma protein binding dissociation with online SPE-HPLC. Scientific Reports. 2015, 5.
2. Bolandnazar S.; et al. Development and application of an hplc method for erlotinib protein binding studies. Advanced Pharmaceutical Bulletin. 2013, 3(2), 289.