Creative Animodel is a leading biotech company, who has years of established experience in in vivo pharmacology researches. We provide various cough models that are reliable, robust and reproducible to assist the clients in profiling and evaluating the efficacy and side effects of novel therapies under development prior to testing in humans.
Cough Reflex and Disease
Coughing arises when the cough receptor in the larynx and lung is stimulated, which evokes the irritation of sensory vagus nerves and afferent fibers to provide input to specific brain regions. The brain stem medullary central cough generator, under the control of the cerebral cortex, coordinates the efferent output to respiratory muscles and produces the cough effort. Abundant factors in both airways and the brain stem are involved in the enhancement of the cough reflex, among which the most potential factors are inflammatory mediators (TNF-α, histamine and LTD4), neuropeptides (CGRP and PGE2) and vanilloid receptors (TRPV1).
Figure 1. Representative scheme of the pathophysiology of cough reflex.
Establishment of cough model in animals that reflects the disease in humans is essential for investigating the pathogenesis and adaptation of cough reflex hypersensitivity, and enables pharmacological researches for developing therapy of cough.
Creative Animodel provides multiple animal models of cough to establish the efficacy and side-effect profiles of novel therapies prior to testing in humans. There are two types of cough models to satisfy the specific needs of pharmacological researchers:
• Cough models: induced by standard challenge agents in naïve animals.
• Exacerbated cough models: induced by challenge agents following exposure to substances such as
allergen and cigarette smoke.
Alternative inducers including citric acid and capsaicin are used in model establishment on rabbits, guinea pigs, or other species asked.
Model Characteristics and Pharmacology Evaluation
• Latency of cough onset
• Frequency of coughs min-1
• Total number of coughs
• Respiratory parameters
• Plasma for PK analysis
• Reliable, robust and reproducible cough models
• Comprehensive evaluation
• Cost efficiency with short duration
Creative Animodel is the best partner in pharmacological researches on drugs in the discovery and development process. We have a group of scientists with deep therapeutic expertise in respiratory diseases and provide a methodological guarantee for profiles of your drug candidates on cough intervention. We are looking forward to cooperating with you.
1. Chung KF, Pavord ID., Prevalence, pathogenesis, and causes of chronic cough, Lancet., 2008, 19;371(9621):1364-74.
2. Lewis CA, et al., Animal models of cough: literature review and presentation of a novel cigarette smoke-enhanced cough model in the guinea-pig. Pulm Pharmacol Ther., 2007, 20(4):325-33.